Google Catches up to AWS and Azure – Launches its New Serverless Database Migration Service!
Google Cloud has recently, announced and rolled out a new serverless Database Migration Service (DMS) for enterprises to help them migrate their production workloads without disrupting their business. It was long overdue since Amazon’s AWS had already launched its Database Migration Service five years back whereas, Azure DMS debuted in 2017. Google DMS supports migrations of self-hosted MySQL databases, either on-premises or in the cloud, and managed databases from other clouds, to Cloud SQL for MySQL. With the launch of Database Migration Service, Google aims to deliver a simplified and highly compatible product experience to the customers so that they can have a smooth, secure, convenient and seamless way to migrate their databases to Cloud SQL
DMS is said to set a new standard for accelerating cloud migrations. The new serverless service for database migration is intended for businesses who wish to migrate to the Google Cloud Platform (GCP) managed database service Cloud SQL or Google Compute Engine seamlessly.
Google ensures the following benefits to its customers,
- There is minimal downtime since the data replication is continuous from source database to destination, without any manual steps. Automatic scaling minimizes downtime for production workloads.
- Google DMS makes use of the database’s native replication capabilities to maximize fidelity, facilitate compatibility and ensure reliability.
- After migrating to Cloud SQL, customers can also benefit from integrating with the rest of Google Cloud, including services like Google Kubernetes Engine and BigQuery.
- Google DMS proves to be unique as a serverless migration service. There is no hassle of provisioning, managing or monitoring migration-specific resources.
- Google cloud DMS is secure and safe. It protects sensitive data during migration, with support for multiple secure, private connectivity configurations.
Some of the noteworthy features pointed out by Google during the launch are,
- The key benefits of Google Cloud DMS are simplicity, the serverless nature of the solution, security and compatibility. Google DMS provides the customers a guided and integrated experience by preparing the databases, configuring secure connectivity and validating the migration setup.
- Cloud SQL is known to have been growing significantly and is one of the fastest-growing services at Google Cloud. Having said that, it is responsible for powering mission-critical workloads at several enterprises across the globe. Google DMS promises to leverage and accelerate migrations from legacy on-premises and other database cloud services to Cloud SQL.
- It is an established fact that organizations are emphasizing on modernizing their infrastructure and spending efforts on the advancement of their digital transformation strategies. Hence, migrating operational databases are critical for their business goals. And since database migration is considered to be a complex process by many enterprises, Google aims to deliver a simplified and highly compatible product experience to its customers.
Google Cloud Accelerates your Digital Transformation by Leveraging Database Migration Services
One of the most prominent and significant features of Google Cloud’s Database Migration Service is that it takes an innovative, serverless and user-first approach to eliminate the complexities and risks that are generally associated with production database migrations. The DMS tool is designed to solve migration issues and provide reliability. It significantly simplifies network connectivity. The particular serverless offering gives you the capability to eliminate the typical need of provisioning and paying for migration-specific compute resources. DMS is the fast track to cloud SQL and sets a new standard for accelerating cloud migrations. Google Cloud is committed to helping its customers achieve success easily, securely, and reliably.