Are we doing everything we can to avoid Risk? This is an unanswered and alarming question that resonates in our mind as our insecurity on the security of our application grows. Though the answer is a resounding no for most of us, the process is simpler than the hype and the outcome is smoother than any other.
Objective of DevSecOps
DevSecOps’ main objective is to ensure data security. Being a defense system, it draws the idea of protection and doing what is necessary to continuously excel defending against attackers. This blog drives you through the Implementation of DevSecOps basing a triple point methodology and how it benefits the process in the enterprise security.
Implementation of DevSecOps – A Cake walk?
A lot of work has been put in to integrate Operations and Development. Weaning in security and practices into DevOps is the best thing that could answer your concerns on the multipack of Innovation, Speed and Security. Implementing DevSecOps successfully requires achieving the Triple point- Developers, Methodology and Technology.
The first point of DevSecOps implementation is Developers. Ensuring impact training and knowledge development to the teams guided with high expertise should be a default step. Automating the process, evaluating the security measures and troubleshooting is essential steps.
DevSecOps aims to align and implement processes inline to the need in order to facilitate a rapport and achieve a more efficient and secure development by adopting the right tools. It is also crucial to follow the DevOps methodology and monitoring continuous integration/delivery.
Latest technologies enable developers to train codes securely and analyse the code for vulnerability assessment to reduce security loopholes inch by inch so as to enable effective management along with smooth workflow.
Although not a new concept, this practice has become popular recently as business owners understand the need for security alongside speed from the initial stages. With its automated QA processing and integrated testing, it finds vulnerabilities and encourages security building processes. Not only does it reduce vulnerabilities DevSecOps increases code coverage and automation. The main purpose is to provide better results at a greater speed than DevOps.
Organizations that adopt DevSecOps benefit from following advantages:
- Cost reduction and Speed of Delivery- Achieved by detecting and fixing issues during the development phase which also increases the speed of delivery.
- Security check and notifying systems- Ensures that they can be continuously checked and enhanced, so as to keep in line with the best security measures.
- DevSecOps Strengthens a culture of Openness and Transparency right from the earliest stages of development.
- ‘Secure by Design and Ability to Measure’- Ensures it by using automated security review of code, automated application security testing and implementing security design patterns. Various components can be measured by everyone giving a scope for continuous iterations and development.
There are many challenges that lie in the process of implementation of DevSecOps. The availability of sufficiently skilled cyber security experts is one of them. Being committed to the client- sound security, robustness and timely delivery of the product can be only achieved when the security issues are given real importance from the starting stage and throughout. Along with it, the methodology and technology play a great role in a successful DevSecOps implementation.
Break down DevSecOps and dwell in a little bit more into embedding a security patch into DevSecOps.
- Choosing the Right DevOps tool for a Successful Continuous Delivery and Automation | Part 3 - February 27, 2019
- Choosing the Right DevOps tool for a Successful Continuous Delivery and Automation | Part-2 - January 18, 2019
- Choosing the Right DevOps tool for a Successful CI/CD and Automation –Benefits and Disadvantages - January 4, 2019