Application Development Platform refers to a suite of technology that can help enterprises in designing, developing and deploying their applications.
In the absence of ADP, enterprises end up using multiple technologies, architectures and engineering structures thus leading to issues in application maintenance and operational bottle necks. It is typical to see large enterprises having hundreds of applications based on multiple technologies and architectures. This results in huge inefficiency, cost over-run on application management and slower response to business needs.
Good choice of ADP brings in the agility and ability to respond fast changing business requirements in the IT world. Now, enterprises have started realizing the need to migrate to unified and strong ADP which can act as their technology backbone and engineering foundation for all existing and future applications.
Following are some of the typical requirements/expectations of an enterprise from an ADP,
• Predefined architectural style for building applications better and faster.
• Global support for technologies used in ADP
• Flexibility in designing technical solutions
• Availability of skill sets and resources to work on the ADP
• Uniformity in the way applications are built and managed
• Ease of maintenance
• Support for web technologies
• Support for On-premise as well as Private and Public Cloud Deployment
• Support for building scalable, flexible and configurable applications easily
• Support for Multi-tenancy
• Tools that can facilitate or ease development effort
Many enterprise application development teams are using a combination of tools and technologies to overcome the complexity and inflexibility of applications. BPM is used to quickly define and change business processes, and collaboration suites like SharePoint and Lotus are used to respond to the increasing demands of long-tail apps. Progress Software’s responsive process management (RPM) combines the best of BPM and business events to help businesses respond to real-time events and change business processes. This is just a small sampling of the next generation of business application development tools.
- Top 10 NFR in Software Architecture – Part 1 - December 1, 2022
- Top 10 Critical NFR for SaaS Applications – Part 2 - October 20, 2022
- Why enterprises should standardize Digital Application Management - July 17, 2017