In the past, we were testing our application manually but as the customer saw more value in test automation it was decided to go ahead and explore the possibilities of it. As a service provider, we have been asked to do a feasibility analysis on test automation. That is our starting point in our quest for the right test automation tool for the application. Being a web application, there are plenty of automation frameworks & tools available in the automation world but our application was built with complex & dynamic UI developed using Telerik controls and it restricted us from going with the proven tools. So, we were spending our time & energy in identifying the right test automation tool through a tool feasibility study.
During analysis, we came across a handful of tools to automate the application but one tool stood on top of all others which is ‘Telerik Testing Framework’. Reason being, it is the only tool which exclusively provides native support for automating Telerik UI & RAD controls and it comes free of cost which is the icing on the cake. Who wouldn’t love to start diving in to use this tool if it helps to automate your application with less complexity and at zero cost?
Telerik Testing Framework
A free automation framework aids in automating by creating code-only tests is the foundation of Test Studio (Commercial version of automation tool). With the testing framework’s .NET API/Library core component, we shall be achieving the core functionalities of test automation like automate user actions, find elements, wait for elements, etc.
- Rich API: Exposes numerous properties and methods that helped us to easily build non-fragile functional tests and thus helps in having test scripts that are highly reliable
- Cross Browser Testing: One code that works across IE, Chrome, Firefox & Safari
- Telerik Control Support: AJAX, HTML5, XAML, WPF application along with Telerik UI RAD & Kendo UI controls
- Unit Testing framework integration: Built-in support for NUnit, MbUnit or XUnit
- Element find logic: Using LINQ (Language Integrated Query)
- Continuous Integration: Through Jenkins, CruiseControl, TeamCity, or TFS
Automation Framework for Telerik Controls
Though Telerik Testing Framework does provide the core components, there were other project needs that couldn’t be fulfilled just with the Testing Framework. Also, to have a resilient, modular, reusable, extensible, maintainable, and more reliable test automation framework, we went ahead and developed our own version of it on top of the core Telerik Testing Framework and its key features it –
- Data-driven & test data from an external source
- Page objects
- Libraries – Reusable methods (Generic & Business-specific)
- Custom test report through ‘ExtentReports’ that could be emailed
- Test Automation Solution for Telerik Application at ‘ZERO COST’ - December 15, 2017