Moving the applications and data to the cloud is one technology that aids organizations in terms of both functionality and flexibility. Migrating to the cloud is a strategical move and organizations are adopting cloud for various business benefits. Using cloud-based services is comparatively more efficient, highly secured, and improves productivity without any performance glitches in a seamless scale-up pattern and a secured operating environment. Along with the reasonable pricing model, the multi-tenant usage feature is something that an on-premise infrastructure cannot compete with. Cloud migration testing fulfills many business needs such as enhancing operating efficiency, upgrading customer experience, allowing omni-channel experience, and many more.
These highly-benevolent services are offered by many cloud platform providers like Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and AWS. They put an end to high procuring costs and servicing expensive physical devices to test an application/software before being released in the market.
What researches prove?
A recent study by Forbes states that “By 2020 a staggering 83% of the company workload will be stored on the cloud” which implies that many companies are already transferring their data and hosting their applications in the cloud. This impact on businesses is what is engaging the attention of many IT organizations and business leaders to adopt cloud platforms to take the big step forward. Irrespective of their size and services, many companies, especially IT, invest in cloud services for backing up data, sending bulk emails, and processing and analyzing complex data.
A report by Informa says that the “total global data center traffic may reach 15.3 ZB annually by 2020, with 92 percent of all workloads being processed in the cloud.” IT companies that aim to grow in terms of flexibility and agility without any bottlenecks due to outdated and underutilized resources should quickly adapt to the varying market demands. To expand a business, reduce the operational costs, and increase the ROI at the same time migrating to the cloud will be one of the few best options for any IT company. A report by Gartner forecasts that worldwide public cloud revenue will grow exponentially through 2022. Also, it states that almost 19% of cloud budgets are spent on cloud-related services such as cloud consulting, implementation, migration and managed services, and expects that this rate will increase to 28% by 2022.
Challenges involved in the Cloud Migration Process
There are several advantages of moving applications into the cloud environment like scaling up resources, improving data security, and accelerating disaster recovery. However, successful migration to the cloud needs a lot of attention from the organization and involves several challenges while or after migrating their apps to the cloud. Often times, when enterprises fail to be prepared to handle the challenges of adopting the cloud, the consequences may be bad. Some of such challenges are as follows:
- Plan a cloud migration testing strategy – Before adopting any new technology, it is smart to have a good strategy in hand that comprises of major factors. In this case, it is the cost involved in it, the amount of data to migrate, resources required, skills of resources estimated, duration of migration, and choosing the right cloud service provider.
- Migrating voluminous data to the cloud is extensive and expensive – Migrating to a cloud environment can be comparatively costly if enterprises fail to project the potential financial impact well in advance. Though using the cloud is often cost-effective in the long run, migrating to the cloud may be expensive upfront based on the amount of data that is to be migrated.
- Migrating live apps – Migration of live apps that are being used currently by end-users is highly challenging as the migration should not impact the performance of the apps even slightly. Also, technical teams must ensure that there is no data loss while transferring the apps from an on-premise set up to a cloud environment.
- Secured environment – While adopting a cloud environment, enterprises are expected to share their data with a third-party that raises questions like the kind of security provided to safeguard their data. It is mandatory to be aware of basic details like the whereabouts of the data storage, cloud partner’s security policies, encryption of the data flow, etc. Therefore, choosing the right cloud partner is pivotal to make the best use of cloud services.
It is of utmost importance to address these challenges and test the apps during the migration process to the cloud environment because, without testing the functionality and performance of the applications in the cloud platform, issues like server crash, database errors, and application and website crashes may occur and can be very expensive in terms of time, resources, and customer experience. In this digitalization process, organizations and business leaders should realize the importance of testing the applications to overcome any challenges easily, without which, it is impossible to achieve or enjoy the advantages of the cloud to the fullest.
Why Cloud Migration is not complete without Testing
To ease the cloud migration testing process for QA teams, it is important to implement the right test strategy says, testing experts. With the right test automation strategy in place, IT companies and the testers can carry out cloud migration within an optimal time and take their product to the market sooner than ever.
When Test automation is carried out using cloud testing platforms like AWS Device Farm, Sauce Labs, and Xamarin Test Cloud, the benefits are huge. Some of which are:
- Handling voluminous execution of test cases with appropriate quality gates
- Effective communication and stakeholder collaboration
- Test reporting
- Extended test coverage in platforms, browsers, and devices
- Parallel execution
- Seamless DevOps integration
- Reduced infrastructure cost
- Advanced analytics into test results
- Utilizing automation to catalyze/speed up cloud migration testing
Along with the above-listed benefits of automating the testing process for cloud migration, it enables continuous delivery and boosts ROI of the organization to a great extent.
To know more on Cloud Migration Testing – Click Here
Latest posts by Christina Sridhar (see all)
- Thinking of Migrating to Cloud? Adopt the Right Testing Strategy for Faster Roll Out! - October 6, 2020
- Cloud Migration Testing: Things You Wish You’d Known Earlier - September 18, 2020
- Robotic Arm 2.0 : The Most Innovative Thing Happening in POS Testing - August 24, 2020