Reasons Why You Should Upgrade from Magento 1 to Magento 2?
- The answer is simple. You want to stay updated, not outdated.
- Magento has ceased introducing any updates in its Magento 1 version.
- All the changes incorporated in Magento 1 have to be repeated in Magento 2 version, whenever you choose to upgrade.
- Magento 2 offers several new features, opportunities, and enhancements which provide amazing customer experiences
How Migration works
This topic provides detailed insights on how data is migrated from Magento 1 to Magento 2 using the Migration Tools.
The Migration tool splits the migration process into three phases or modes in order to transfer and adapt data from Magento 1.x to Magento 2.x. The three modes are listed here and must be run in this order:
- Settings Mode transfers the system configuration and website-related settings.
- Data Mode migrates database assets in bulk.
- Delta Mode migrates incremental changes (changes since the last run), such as new customers and orders.
The Migration tool uses a list of steps within each mode to migrate a particular type of data. For example, in the Settings mode, there are two steps which are used to migrate all the settings data: the Stores step and the Settings step
Within each step there are three stages that are always executed in the following order to ensure that the data gets properly migrated:
- Integrity Check: This is used to compare the table field names, types, and other information to verify compatibility between Magento 1 and 2 data structures.
- Data Transfer: Transfers the data table by table from Magento 1 and 2.
- Volume Check compares the number of records between tables to validate and verify that the transfer was successful.
What needs to be manually migrated
- Extensions and custom code
- Web services credentials
- Storefront design
- Media on the file system
Data that will not be migrated
For the reasons stated, the tool will not migrate the following data:
- Indexed data: You should perform a full reindex before you enable your Magento 2 instance on the production server.
- Google Shopping: Google Shopping shipped in some older Magento 1.x versions but has since been removed.
- Data that is not supported in Magento 2.0: Poll, tag, staging modules, and recurring profiles are not currently supported in Magento 2.
Magento 2 migration process involves the migration of four main elements:
Themes Migration- Magento 1 theme can’t be migrated directly to Magento 2. But you can create a custom theme or install one of them from Magento Marketplace.
Extensions Migration –The Magento 1 extensions won’t be compatible with Magento 2. As of now, there are no official tools to migrate extensions from Magento 1 to Magento 2. Hence, you should install useful Magento 2 extensions for the store.
Customizations Migration- There are high chances of your store running on custom code. Hence it is crucial for you to migrate the custom code to Magento 2 safely. With the help of the Magento Code Migration Toolkit, you can port your extensions and custom code to Magento 2, thereby reducing your efforts.
Data Migration– The last step involves data migration of customers, orders, products, store configurations, etc. The store data is valuable and can’t be lost at any cost. There exists a Magento 2 Data Migration Tool to help you move all of your data with respect to products, customers, store configurations, promotions and more to Magento 2, making it compatible with the new structure. The process to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2 does not stop here as you need to further test the Magento 2 store’s functionality thoroughly.
The Magento community is progressing forward with the new version of Magento. It is of no use for the extension makers, developers, and merchants to still invest in Magento 1 as it is set to fade eventually. All the online stores utilizing Magento 1 platform would benefit from the latest functionality, features and performance improvements when they upgrade from Magento 1 to Magento 2 Community or Enterprise edition.
Learn more about our Magento expertise here Magento Miniseries.
Latest posts by Arjit Baskaran (see all)
- Magento Miniseries: Theme Migration to Magento 2- The Ultimate Guide - October 15, 2019
- Magento Miniseries: Extensions and Custom Code Migration to Magento 2 – The Ultimate Guide - October 8, 2019
- Magento Miniseries: Data Migration to Magento 2 – The Ultimate Guide - October 1, 2019